Carpet Underlay Pad
When installing any carpet types, you will need to have the right underlay pad under the actual carpet. Carpet padding has several benefits.
Pet Urine Goes Into the Carpet Underlay
Can pet urine cause mould under carpets?
While one or two pet urine incidents may not concern, a pattern of behaviour over weeks or months, thus, can cause the pet urine to soak through the carpet and into the carpet underlay pad. Although one or two accidents cleaned up quickly, and efficiently may not be a concern, repeated pet stains or pet urine that is not immediately, and thoroughly flushed out cleaned. Can soak through your carpet into the carpet underlay pad below.
The components of the urine attract moisture, and over time, several varieties of mould can begin to grow underneath your carpet. That urine attracts moisture, and over time, mould will start to grow under the carpet. Some of these mould varieties, like penicillium, can cause respiratory symptoms, and a few, such as aspergillus, can create long-term lung conditions with prolonged exposure
The Ammonia Pet Urine Odour
The most noticeable effect of animal pet urine in carpets is the strong smell of ammonia. Once a pet urinates on the carpet that’s not cleaned thoroughly – and immediately – the water in the pet urine evaporates, leaving behind even more concentrated ammonia. Thus, it can have a tremendous negative effect on people who have COPD, asthma, or emphysema, and it may also cause allergies.
The Growth of Pet Urine Bacteria
Most of the bacteria that grows in old pet stains are not particularly dangerous to anyone who has a healthy immune system. However,it can become quite bothersome to many. In otherwise healthy people, the bacteria found in old pet urine stains may cause sinusitis, smell watery eyes, allergies, and inflammation of the airways such as asthma. However, in people who have compromised immune systems, such as very young children, the elderly, or people with immune systems weakened by illness or medication, these bacteria can cause significant health issues.
Replacing a Pet Urine Contaminated or Rotting Subfloor
Finally, it is essential to consider the financial expense that animal urine can create. Your carpet underlay pad likely sits directly on your subfloor, maybe made of wood. Over time, the pet urine soaks through your carpet, and the carpet underlay padding below, then into the subfloor. With repeated pet urine accidents, the wood becomes more and more saturated and may even begin to rot. As such, it may be necessary to remove your carpeting altogether and replace sections of your subfloor to combat structural damage to your floors.
Pet urine-soaked hardwood floor
If pet urine has soaked through the carpet, through the carpet underlay pad, and onto hardwood subflooring, you are likely in for a massive headache. Over time, that subfloor becomes more saturated with the pet urine and will begin to rot. Fixing the rot problem may require that you remove the carpet and replace sections of the hardwood underneath.
- Enhances the life of a carpet as well as gives it the coveted luxurious, lavish and soft feel.
- It can improve the thermal insulation properties of the floor since it retains heat and makes the interiors warm.
- It can as well reduce noise as it absorbs sound.
- Whenever vacuum cleaning carpet underlay, padding allows more—thus removing more dirt from the carpet, which gives you a cleaner home.
- In the end, maintenance costs reduced when you have the appropriate carpet pad under your carpet.
Similar to carpets, carpet underlay pads are also available in a range of materials, density, and thickness. Generally, it is the professional carpet dealer who can educate you about the correct carpet padding for your carpet.
Carpet underlay pad types
- Fibre carpet underlay pad: Fiber carpet pads manufactured from jute, horsehair, camel hair, synthetic fibre or textile fibre. If selecting fibre carpet pads, make sure to buy one of the right density. In this category, spun nylon recognised as best.
- Foam carpet underlay: Foam carpet underlay is manufactured out of urethane foam and is available in different densities and thicknesses. Although the air under provides the cushioning, with the foam carpet padding, the carpet moves up and down excessively. Therefore it shortens its life. Not well suited for heavy traffic.
- Frothed foam carpet underlay: Frothed foam carpet underlay pads are incredibly durable and fashionable. This carpet underlay used beneath all carpets. Believe it or not, it prolongs the life of your carpet. And is considered better than rebond, fibre, waffle rubber and prime foam.
- Rebond carpet underlay padding: Rebond carpet underlay pad created from scraps of high-density foams bonded together. Even though sturdy, the chemicals used in making a rebond carpet pad can sometimes harm particular carpets. Occasionally the off-gas released from the rebond carpet pad can result in yellowing on the carpet surface.
- Slab rubber carpet underlay pad: Slab rubber carpet underlay padding is excellent for high traffic areas. It also helps resist furniture indentation and even crushing of carpets.
- Waffle rubber carpet underlay padding: Although soft, it has clay type binders used for binding rubber that can crack and wear out fast with use.
Prices of carpet underlay determined by both density and thickness. One of the economical carpet pads is fibre carpet pads, but frothed carpet underlay padding is true worth for money. It costs about the same as a good quality slab rubber carpet underlay and lasts for a longer time. Avoid purchasing carpet padding that is too soft or too thick. Carpet cushion that is too soft can’t endure heavy foot traffic.
The carpet cushion council recommends a carpet underlay with a minimum of 5lbs and 3/8 inch thickness for light traffic just like your living room and a carpet underlay padding of 6.5 lbs and 3/8 inch for heavy traffic such as corridors. It is better never to exceed ½ inch. A ½ carpet cushion offers an adequate cushion and still allows the carpet to hold on to the tack strip along the walls. Additionally, placing a quality cushion under your new carpet is often a condition of your warranty.
A few retailers market carpet underlay padding along with the carpets. However, it is always a good idea to check the material, density, and thickness. An incorrect choice of carpet pad can considerably shorten the life of your carpet. So make an educated decision of buying a suitable carpet pad when installing your carpet.
Steam ‘n’ Dry Auckland Carpet Cleaning, begin by removing all loose soil in the carpet by using a powerful dry vacuum system. We then lightly spray Auckland Carpet Cleaning exclusive cleaning solution onto the carpet. Superior truck-mounted equipment services, removes more soil dirt viruses, germs and allergens in South Auckland, North Shore, East, West Auckland. This solution is a mild cleaning solution. Thus, it immediately penetrates each carpet fibre and starts breaking up the dirt trapped within.
Steam ‘n’ Dry Auckland Carpet Cleaning, superior truck-mounted equipment services, removes more soil dirt viruses, germs and allergens in South Auckland, North Shore, East, West Auckland.
Next, Steam ‘n’ Dry Auckland Carpet Cleaning service groom the carpet fibres all in one direction. The carpet will be dry in less than an hour after we finish. The carpet pile will be standing up like it did when it was new. It will look, feel, and smell clean and fresh.
Our Carpet Cleaning includes
- Firm estimate with no hidden charges
- Firm, convenient, on-time appointments
- Specially trained technicians
- We move most furniture
- Stain Removal
- Carpet Deodorant
- Stain-resistant protective coating available
- Backed by Auckland Carpet Cleaning unique 100% satisfaction guarantee
Auckland Steam’ n’ Dry Owner Graeme Stephens wrote this article. An IICRC master restoration Technician 2001, with over 32 years of upholstery and carpet cleaning in Auckland services experience. Updated:31st May 2020